>  Wouldn't Windows or Tomcat complain if I did this and it was already
> started?

To make sure if tomcat is in fact running you can either check taskmanager
or look inside services.msc.

> To enable the Tomcat monitor, find the tomcat6w.exe program (not
> tomcat6.exe) in Tomcat's bin directory with Explorer, right-click on the
> program entry, select the Compatibility tab, and then check the "Run this
> program as an administrator" box.  This will allow the Tomcat monitor icon
> to be placed in the system tray and start the service.  However, you will
> still get an annoying UAC dialog box at boot time asking you to ok what you
> did; I don't know how to get rid of that without turning off UAC completely.

To disable UAC you can run msconfig, on the last tab, there is and option to
disable UAC.

You should check if tomcat runs OK on other machines (Vista or not), that
way you can be sure whether it is host specific, os specific, of you should
do some additional configuration (I know for a fact that tomcat works under
Vista, I have it running on my Vista x64 machine, without errors or dialogs)

Hope this helps

Regards,

Serge Fonville