Hi,

You'll still get the annoying UAC box, but that can't be avoided unless the program is digitally signed.

A suggestion here - the Apache Tomcat project should start signing windows binaries. That way once the user trusts the source the UAC crap ought to disappear (or not be as ugly.)

You are right about the run as administrator thing. But it is also possible to install and set "FullTrust" on an executable with a piece called "SetSecurity". This might make the "Run As Administrator" moot. I'm no Windows expert (I'm an avoider) and installs get pretty technical (I couldn't avoid creating one for an Excel Add-in last year).

Is this a discussion for the dev list?

Regards,
Dave
(Apache POI)