Willing to try and play psychic ;).

Procedure 1 is what you want.  But the keystore must be the same one that
you used to create the CSR you sent to Verisign.  This is by far the second
most common mistake that people make when setting up Tomcat to use SSL.  As
Chuck suggested, check if you are using APR (the SSL configuration options
are different, and APR can't use a JKS keystore).  This is the most common
mistake.  Verisign has an intermediate cert as well.  You'll likely need to
import that as well.  And of course, import the Verisign root cert.