Richard Langly wrote:
Well, that's exactly what I want to do, build a web page from within the
proxy server that will be viewed at a later time, and also further pass on
the request and expect to get a page back which will also be viewed at a
later time. This all happens from the proxy server.

1) receive URL from user request and store/build a web page to be viewed at
a later time (from within this proxy).

2) pass on URL to web server and store the response html page in this proxy
to also be viewed at a later time.

Allright.  I still don't really see what the point is, but at least the
description is clearer.  You may want to repost it like that on the
httpd list too.

Taking the above at face value and just giving a generic answer :
You could probably do that in Apache httpd or in Tomcat, but in both
cases I don't think you'll find a standard module to do that.  You will
have to write your own code.
HTTP proxy requests arrive to the HTTP server in a format slightly
different from normal requests :
a normal request arrives like
GET /path/to/document HTTP/1.1
while a proxy request arrives like
GET http://hostname_desired/path/to/document HTTP/1.1

All the "normal" machinery of a webserver is designed to handle the
first format, so I imagine that module like mod_proxy in Apache httpd
have to do something special to handle the second one.

I am not going to say more, because I don't really know this works, but
maybe someone more knowledgeable in "forward proxies" could step in at
this point.

----

Separately, I am still curious about a couple of points :
- if your proxy server composes a web page as a result of a request, on
which base does it create it ?  I mean, it gets a request like
"http://www.bbc.co.uk/africa/current.html";. What does it create itself
- you say that you want to store this page for later use.  Which later
use ? what do you return to the client now, and to which request would
you return this same page later ?
- the same question for the real page that you retrieve from the real
server for "http://www.bbc.co.uk/africa/current.html"; ?