Chetan Chheda wrote:
> Our management has directed us to upgrade our JRE to 1.5 from 1.4.2 because
> they have "heard" that 1.5 has better memory management features. I am doing
> my due diligence to present a plan on what it will take to get us there.
>
> The question is how do I approach this ...
>
> We have apache(2.0.59), Tomcat(5.0.30), and a few JVM based application
> processes. Tomcat and the application processes use the same JRE(1.4.2).
>
> - Is tomcat 5.0.30 supported with JRE 1.5? Is it as simple as updating the
> startup scripts with the new JRE path?
5.0.30 will work with 1.5 *but* the 5.0.x branch is very old, has not
been updated for a long time, is very unlikely to ever see another
release and almost certainly has some significant un-patched security
vulnerabilities.

> - Should I be upgrading tomcat too since our version is not even supported(as
> per ?
Absolutely - see above.

> - What is the impact to the code? Is it all backward compatible and will work
> with the new JRE/tomcat version?
You mat hit some issues with new keywords that were introduced. I
remember enum was an issue for Tomcat.

> - Where can I find a comparison of enhancements/improvements between various
> tomcat versions? I saw the change log but its just too vast for me to
> digest...
That is the best there is I am afraid.

5.0.x-> 5.5.x was a re-factor for performance
5.5.x-> 6.0.x was mainly a spec update

Generally, the later the version, the more bugs that have been fixed.

> - What is the impact to Apache/Mod_jk configurations?
On the httpd side, zero. For Tomcat you might need to tweak the
connector config a little.

Mark