Chetan Chheda wrote:
Disclaimer : The following statements are to be taken in a banking perspective (past bonuses are no guarantee for future ones); each situation is slightly different; my own Tomcat applications are not very sophisticated; my servers are not highly loaded; YMMV.

Having done the same a couple of times, for me this was a relatively painless (and quick) upgrade, both for the JVM and for Tomcat (from Tomcat 4.1 to 5.5)(no point in stopping at 5.0). I have Tomcat 5.5 running with a JVM 1.6 and do not remember having encountered any problems with that either, so you might as well skip the JVM 1.5 also. I believe Tomcat 6 has quite a few more changes compared to 4.1, so you may not want to risk that in one step.

Save your old tomcat/conf files somewhere for future reference, then install the new JVM and the new Tomcat, with the standard new conf files for the new Tomcat. Make sure it runs with some example webapp. Then /manually/ introduce the needed changes to the new configuration, one by one, on the base of your old conf files, and check after each change. Do /not/ try to keep your old configs for the new Tomcat, or you will end up with a mess.

You might even be able to do this on the same server in parallel, as long as you change the ports of your <Connector>'s.

As for mod_jk, apart from making sure that the right Apache jk worker connects to the right Tomcat, I don't think that there are any real config changes required. The newer mod_jk have quite a few new options though, which you should probably at least have a look at.