"Caldarale, Charles R" <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote in message
news:0aae5ab84b013e45a7b61cb66943c17228fc438...@usea-exch7.na.uis.unisys.com...
>> From: Jones, Keven [mailto:keven.jo...@ncr.com]
>> Subject: RE: Tomcat maxThreads Issue
>>
>>  <Connector port="8011"
>>         enableLookups="false" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"
>> maxThreads="400" connectionTimeout="20000"/>
>
>The syntax is ok, but I'd have to look at the code to see if
>connectionTimeout applies to anything other than the first >request coming
>through.  (AJP connections are intended to be persistent.)

No, connectionTimeout applies to all requests.  Any time that the Connector
thread doesn't hear from httpd within 20 seconds (with this configuration)
it will hang up and return to the pool.  Note: this value also applies to
reads from the request body.  But I think almost all connections can send
the default 8Kb in 20 seconds.

The value for connectionTimeout looks low except for high-traffic sites
(would go for something more like 5 minutes for a moderate traffic site).
That would allow traffic spikes to die out without forcing unnecessary
reconnections.  You may also want to configure cping/cpong on the Apache
side to aid mod_jk to detect that the connection has timed out.