Thanks for the reply.

Even after reading documents I have some doubts.

1] How is a particular tomcat instance marked to "ERR" state?
This is what I understand. If apache is not able to connect to that tomcat
instance port ( typically when tomcat is not running) OR if it does not receive
reply from the tomcat instance. The second part is were I am not very clear. If
reply_timeout is not set then it waits indefinitely for the answer then how
does it mark it in state "ERR". If reply_timeout is set then it will wait for
that time for no. of retries and then mark it in state ERR. Is there any other
way a instance would get marked to state ERR?

2] Once instance is marked to state ERR then how does recovery options affect
it?
As per the document: "Recovery options influence, how we should handle retries,
in case we detect a problem with Tomcat. How often we will retry is controlled
by the attribute retries."
So, if for example I have recovery options set to 3 how would it work? If I
have set it to 7 how would it work?

I am trying to understand the details of all this so that I can get to the
bottom of the problem that I am facing. The problem that I am having is after
setting these timeouts I am seeing worse performance from the website There are
many website access errors reported.
Earlier the following was not set and now I have set ping_mode=A,
reply_timeout=60000, socket_connect_timeout=5000 and recovery_options=3.

Thanks,
Madhuri