2009/10/26 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
> On the other hand, shouldn't the JSP compiler pass-through everything
> except for directives? HTML is a common enough use case for JSP that
> SGML comments ought to be tolerated in these cases.

Just an obvious reminder: although those are SGML comments, they are
not ignored by browsers.

E.g. in SCRIPT, STYLE tags, or IE specific <!--[if .. conditional
clauses (never used and don't remember their syntax). Also I think
that they might be visible through DOM (don't know whether it is
actually true).

Thus, those comments are just like the other text on the page.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko