From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:40 PM
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Tomcat Filter Mapping Issue

From: Patrick Flaherty [mailto:pflah...@rampageinc.com]

If I have 3 apps for a given <Host> then off my appBase I
would have :

/ROOT  (a must default for each <Host>)
/app2
/app3

To access these apps, the URL's for the apps would be :

http://www.my-three-apps.com  (This for the ROOT app)
http://www.my-three-apps.com/app2  (This for the /app2 app)
http://www.my-three-apps.com/app3  (This for the /app3 app)

The above is correct, but not quite complete. The default (ROOT) webapp will handle any URIs that don't match any of the explicitly-named apps, where the spec-defined rule is that the longest match wins. For example, if a user enters:

 http://www.my-three-apps.com/app4

the request will be directed to the default (ROOT) app, since it doesn't match the known app2 or app3 patterns.

- Chuck