From: "Konstantin Kolinko" <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 7:00 PM
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Tomcat Filter Mapping Issue

2010/1/10 Patrick Flaherty <pflah...@rampageinc.com>:
Chris,

Although adding ROOT of my appBase fixed my Filter mapping issue, I'm
guessing that I need to
put every bit of my app (all classes, libs etc ....) into that ROOT folder,
correct ?

So then if I decide to deploy another app in a virtual host say for instance
:

Host Name : www.domain.com   appBase=c:/app123

If that has a folder called proofs that I want filter mapping hits on, do I
created a ROOT folder off of my appBase (ie  c:/app123/ROOT) and put
every bit of my app (all classes, libs etc ....) into that ROOT folder ?

I'm sorry to belabor the point. I know that adding the ROOT folder fixed my initial problem but I not sure if that is because when only running 1 host
it
should be called ROOT or is it that every Host needs to have a ROOT folder
off of it's appBase and everything should bit of the app should be put in
there.

It seems the ROOT folder was the key here but before we wanted to add filter
mapping app worked fine when appBase is what we deemed to be the web
root for the app. It has worked well like that for years.

Is there a hard and fast rule about deployment that I'm missing ? (Probably)
If there is. it seems to revolve around having a ROOT folder for each app
maybe ?

Any more enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks once again.

ROOT (in uppercase) is not a "folder", but a web application.

Yes, that is understood.

It behaves like any other web application (You should remember, that
web applications are independent of each other). The only difference
is that it is mapped to the URL "/".

Your say the ROOT app is mapped to URL "/" then yes that is understood.

Every host should have a ROOT application.

Meaning every host should have a ROOT app regardless of whether you are hosting ONE or MORE apps on a host !

Any requests that cannot be mapped to any other web application  will
be directed to this one, so that it can show its 404th error page or
otherwise process it.

(If there is no ROOT application deployed, such requests cannot be
processed and will result in a zero-length empty response.)

If you have two applications
 /mywebapp
 /ROOT
then
- any request to /myweapp/foo will be processed by mywebapp (and the
ROOT one will not see it at all),

That is what I had. I had the ROOT app off the webapps folder of a default Tomcat install. We then created a virtual host (with a real domain name) where OUR app responded to
that domain name. (ie Host Name : www.myapp.com  appBase =  c:/myapp)
Everything in this config has worked for a couple years. The infamous Proofs folder was located in c:/myapp/Proofs which I assume c:/myapp to be the "web root" for this www.myapp.com host.
It seems to have always behaved as such.

Am I ok up to this point ? (maybe not ?)

Finally we decided a wanted to use Filter Mapping for added security. Filter Mapping would not give us a hit for an URL's of type http://www.myapp.com/Proofs/* (our filter map using /Proofs/*).

After suggestions from the forum about moving the app (WEB_INF and all) under a ROOT folder I added to c:/myapp folder which now contains everything for the app under it, viola, Filter Mapping started to work !

I don't know why this was the case but I went with it.

- any request to /myweapp2/foo will be processed by ROOT (because
there is no myweapp2 application to process it).
Do people have secondary app (after ROOT) setup like I described above running with filter mapping functioning ?

Seems like maybe a bug to me or a misconfiguration of some sort on my part.

Thanks again Konstantin and other.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko