Hi Chuck, thanks for your extensive comments about the JVM options..

n828cl wrote:

>>-Xms10240m -Xmx10240m
>
> That's a very large heap; shouldn't hurt as long as you have enough RAM to
> support it all without paging.  (But see below for use with compressed
> OOPs.)

This shouldn't be a problem, the system has 16 GB RAM, almost all of it
dedicated to Tomcat.

n828cl wrote:

>> Tomcat's CPU usage seems significantly lower than before
>> (it's average seems about 10% now - which was 30-40% before)
>
> There are some improvements in the JDK/JRE 6 JIT and synchronization
> handling, but probably not enough to account for that large a difference.

Well, I don't know where exactly it's coming from, but after a full day very
closely monitoring the system, it turns out to be the truth. Which is not a
bad thing, of course :)

n828cl wrote:

>> I also added the -XX:+UseCompressedOops JVM option
>
> Be careful with that; it can impact CPU usage, since the compressed OOPs
> have to be expanded into actual pointers every time they're used, and
> pointers compressed when stored in a field.  Works best with heap sizes
> less than 4 GB, which avoids the decoding/encoding.  For a real
> explanation of compressed OOPs, look here:
> http://wikis.sun.com/display/HotSpotInternals/CompressedOops

I already found that article myself. Since CPU usage is as low as it is now,
I have decided to give it a try.
Anyway, thanks again!