> From: Pid [mailto:p...@pidster.com]
> Subject: Re: File does not exist error - public_html/addArticle.do
>
> > <Host name="XXXXX.com" appBase="/home/XXXXX/public_html">
> > <Alias>www.XXXXX.com</Alias>
> > <Context path="" reloadable="true" docBase="/home/XXXXX/public_html"
> > debug="1"/>
>
> This is the old school and somewhat discouraged way of doing things,

It's much worse than that - it's completely illegal.  The appBase and docBase
settings must *never* be the same; erratic and unpredictable behavior is
guaranteed.  There's no point in proceeding until that's straightened out.

I would strongly recommend that you keep the <Context> elements outside of
server.xml.  Leave the appBase as you have it, but install your webapp in
/home/XXXXX/public_html/ROOT.  Place the <Context> element in
/home/XXXXX/public_html/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml, but leave out the path,
docBase, and debug attributes (they're all illegal or ignored).

Your web.xml should be placed in /home/XXXXX/public_html/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml.

> > <Context path="/manager" debug="0" privileged="true"
> > docBase="/usr/local/jakarta/tomcat/server/webapps/manager">
> > </Context>

Again, the debug attribute hasn't been used for many years, so it has no
business being there.  The proper place for the above <Context> element is in
Tomcat's conf/Catalina/XXXXX.com/manager.xml file, without the path attribute,
but /with/ the docBase, since it's not under the appBase directory.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.