From: Pid [mailto:p...@pidster.com]
Subject: Re: File does not exist error - public_html/addArticle.do

<Host name="XXXXX.com" appBase="/home/XXXXX/public_html">
<Alias>www.XXXXX.com</Alias>
<Context path="" reloadable="true" docBase="/home/XXXXX/public_html"
debug="1"/>
This is the old school and somewhat discouraged way of doing things,
It's much worse than that - it's completely illegal.  The appBase and docBase
settings must *never* be the same; erratic and unpredictable behavior is
guaranteed.  There's no point in proceeding until that's straightened out.

I would strongly recommend that you keep the<Context>  elements outside of
server.xml.  Leave the appBase as you have it, but install your webapp in
/home/XXXXX/public_html/ROOT.  Place the<Context>  element in
/home/XXXXX/public_html/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml, but leave out the path, docBase, and
debug attributes (they're all illegal or ignored).

Your web.xml should be placed in /home/XXXXX/public_html/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml.

<Context path="/manager" debug="0" privileged="true"
docBase="/usr/local/jakarta/tomcat/server/webapps/manager">
</Context>
Again, the debug attribute hasn't been used for many years, so it has no business
being there.  The proper place for the above<Context>  element is in Tomcat's
conf/Catalina/XXXXX.com/manager.xml file, without the path attribute, but /with/ the
docBase, since it's not under the appBase directory.

  - Chuck

attachments from all computers.