What I'm seeing in the access log are heartbeat requests? Like follows.
I'm not touching the page and I did navigate to another page after I ran
the report...

10.5.2.18 - - [14/Sep/2010:15:22:03 -0700] "POST
/sree/Reports?op=heartbeat&ID=RA_QA[2f]PST[20]Complaints.12845027269201@
local&&isAJAXRequest=true&isContainer=false&isXML=false HTTP/1.1" 200 -

I don't know if this is because we're using LDAP for our security and
InetSoft is checking this constantly. I have a feeling that's what it is
though. :-(

Debbie Shapiro, Data Warehouse Manager
Office: 425.402.2233

-----Original Message-----
From: Wesley Acheson [mailto:wesley.ache...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:48 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: session-timeout not taking effect

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Debbie Shapiro
<dshap...@cardiacscience.com> wrote:
> I should add that I am neither a Java nor a Tomcat expert by any
means.
> Where would I find some of these settings?

hmm may be a bit tricky

> I'm using IE to access this application.
>
> Where would one enable the access log? I essentially have the entire
> Tomcat installation using the defaults at installation, with the
> exception that I have included the InetSoft application directory in
the
> webapps folder.
Is a valve usually on server.xml If you reciently downloaded tomcat
and haven't played with these files there a commented out access log
valve which you can uncomment

(  i.e. remove <!-- and its end --> )

> If I navigate to another website and immediately navigate back to the
> InetSoft page, it first displays a page that the login has expired and
> then prompts me to login again.
I don't suppose you know if its using urlRewriting to keep sessions.
There may be something in the browser address bar that says
jsessionid.

>It's only if I leave the page up that it
> seems to not expire. My version of IE doesn't have tabs (I'm still on
> 6.0), so it's either change the current window to a new page or open a
> new window.

Thats fine for the test. Change the current window by navigating to
another site and back (You said before it asks you for a login). I'd
advise a better browser however.

> I'm not sure how to determine that the session-timeout is anything
other
> than 30 minutes aside from looking at the web.xml file. Not familiar
> with JConsole. I don't currently have the Tomcat manager running. I
just
> found the documentation concerning that part of the app and I will see
> about getting that started. As I said, I have everything set to the
> defaults...

Sorry for the stupid question but when you said the session should be
expired, I assume you don't mean the report shouldn't still be on the
screen.

Is this a public website where someone could test?

Wes