Jane,

On 10/8/2010 7:40 PM, Jane Muse wrote:
> <Chris wrote:
>
> <Jane, if you increase your logging level to DEBUG, you should be able
> to see the modified() method being called, and it <should tell you what
> resource is triggering the reload in the webapp's log file.
>
> I set the system date to: 11/07/10 at 1:53:00 and started tomcat. At
> 2:00 the time changes to 01:00, and the following statements in the log
> show the resource that was modified:
>
> DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader - modified()
> DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader - modified()
> DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader -   Resource
> '/WEB-INF/lib/ant-1.6.5.jar' was modified; Date is now: Sun Aug 22
> 19:51:04 PDT 2010 Was: Sun Aug 22 18:51:04 PDT 2010
> INFO ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext - Reloading this Context has
> started
> DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader -
> loadClass(org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor, false)
>
> When the time fell back 1 hour, the modified time for ant-1.6.5.jar also
> showed as changed to 1 hour prior to previous timestamp, and that
> prompted the reload.

Thanks for testing this: your experience is very weird. It's too bad the
log doesn't show the old timestamp versus the new one. Would you be
willing to patch Tomcat to show both timestamps?

The timestamp of the file should be /the/ timestamp for the file, and
shouldn't be affected by the current DST settings. The timestamp for the
file itself might be affected by the current DST setting when you
/touch/ it, but not when you do a simple stat() call.

> I have reloading="false" and autoDeploy="false" set in the context.xml
> and server.xml.

That's even weirder. How do you deploy Tomcat? Perhaps Tomcat isn't
using the server.xml you think it is using.

> Does this look like a tomcat bug, if so are you aware if it's been fixed
> in a later version (I'm at 6.0.18)?

Wow. That version is 3 years old: it's time to upgrade. :)

I couldn't see anything in the changelog
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/changelog.html) that seems
likely, but I didn't read it in detail; that's a lot of versions to read
through. You might want to read it yourself to see if anything seems
applicable, but also to determine if there are any changes that would
prohibit you from upgrading.