I really think all times should be stored Zulu Standard Time, and then
converted only for display purposes.
This does make the conversion process more complicated, as the system has to
have all timezone/dst tables for "Forever" to properly display the time to the
user for that particular point in time to whatever the user's TZ was at that
time.  All comparatives are done on raw standardized data.  (Yes, you don't
have to do GMT for your base, but you might as well.)