I found the problem.... and this time it wasn't my fault!  :-)
I used a profiler (www.yourkit.com) and took a snapshot of all the objects
in the JVM. I found that tons of RAM is being used by images of my delivered
http responses. I mean, I have thousands of static HTML pages in my site. It
seems that Tomcat is saving their content in the memory, as a cache, in
thousands of objects.

That was the hardest part, to find out that. Now I wonder where do I
configure Tomcat to stop doing this, or at least to reduce the cache.....

If