Hello Brian,

maybe I missed half of the communication, but from the other half I
got the feeling that you are shooting in the dark. Heap dumps are hard
to decipher especially if the internals seems to be unknown ;-)
When hunting a memory leak I setup a cron job that performs the same
task once an hour:
jmap -heap:live <pid> >file-with-timestamp.heap
jmap -histo:live <pid> >file-with-timestamp.histo

the jmap histogramm contains all objects in your vm and their
cumulated space. by comparing two of them taken in 30 or 60 minutes
you can determine which objects are actually increasing numbers or
size. With that knowledge analyzing heap dumps can be performed much
faster and easier.

Keep in mind that analyzing mem leaks that lead to outofmemory after
the oome occured is twice as hard as shortly before .

regards
Leon

P.S. I have a small tool that creates a diff of two subsequent
histograms, i can share it if you need it.

P.P.S. jmap is a standart java tool. Another standart java tool - jhat
can theoretically analyze a heap dump based on a baseline heapdump
taken previously.