> From: Robinson, Eric [mailto:eric.robin...@psmnv.com]
> Subject: RE: Is IBM Right About Java?

> As I understand it, it would actually not work because instances that
> peak at 512M but then go back down to, say, 128M, would still never
> return the unused memory to the OS so it can be used by other instances.

Not true - that's the whole point of the -Xms setting.  If GC can squeeze the
heap down, it will do so and avoid allocations in the now unused virtual space.
 There are some heuristics in place within GC to avoid bouncing up and down, so
heap usage has to stay low for a while before you'll see a lower upper limit
and a corresponding reduction in the real memory usage.  (Note that the unused
virtual space may not be returned to the OS, but the real space behind it won't
be referenced so the pages will age out - but only if the OS needs the space
for some other process.)

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.