From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:chuck.caldar...@unisys.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 12:53 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Is IBM Right About Java?

> From: Robinson, Eric [mailto:eric.robin...@psmnv.com]
> Subject: RE: Is IBM Right About Java?

> As I understand it, it would actually not work because instances that
> peak at 512M but then go back down to, say, 128M, would still never
> return the unused memory to the OS so it can be used by other
instances.

Not true - that's the whole point of the -Xms setting.  If GC can
squeeze the heap down, it will do so and avoid allocations in the now
unused virtual space.  There are some heuristics in place within GC to
avoid bouncing up and down, so heap usage has to stay low for a while
before you'll see a lower upper limit and a corresponding reduction in
the real memory usage.  (Note that the unused virtual space may not be
returned to the OS, but the real space behind it won't be referenced so
the pages will age out - but only if the OS needs the space for some
other process.)

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.