I have similar experience,
Tomcat 6.0.30 is deleting my ROOT.xml inside conf directory.
As Mark said here, it's because of the autoDeploy, BUT WHY
it is like that ? I have 2 constraints:

1. ROOT.xml is important, it contains the Context for the webapp (and it cannot
be inside war !!)
2. I need autoDeploy feature

So what is the solution for that ?

Actually I DONT get the point of removing those xml files at all !!

Here is my original post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@tomcat.apache.org/msg87411.html

Thank you.

-JoeK-