Robinson, Eric wrote:

The only filesystem involved is the local ext3 one that tomcat lives on.
I can stop and start tomcat as many times as I want and everything is
fine. But when I reboot the server, the next time tomcat comes up the
XML files get deleted. This only happens to the 70 or so instrances of
tomcat6 running on two separate RHEL 5.3 servers. It does not happens on
the 200 instances of tomcat5 running on our other RHEL servers.

I'll bite.

How do you stop and start Tomcat(s) when you are not rebooting the server ?

And how do these Tomcat(s) get started when you do reboot the server ?

Obviously, something different is happening in one case or the other.
Since the JVM which runs Tomcat, and the Tomcat code itself, is (presumably) the same in both cases, logic would have it that the suspect must be outside Tomcat itself.

What Mark was probably hinting at, is that this culprit may well be a "RHEL-tomcat-package-provided" system script, which does different things in both cases, and which of course we would not know.

(Or maybe some weird thing done by SE-Linux ?)