One other tidbit.  When I call request.getRequestURI(), I get something like
PathDispatcher.service: /test3/a.iface from
org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade@a245b0
when I'm using Tomcat 6.0.32
and
PathDispatcher.service: /test3/a.iface;jsessionid=blah from
org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade@a83987
when I am using tomcat 6.0.33 (or Tomcat 7).

Is it intended that request.getRequestURI() should return a path parameter
as part of the URI?
Or is it a bug?