Since you suggested that the problem may well be with the 1.8.2 icefaces
implementation, I set up two nearly identical test webapps both running on
the latest version of Tomcat (7.0.20).  One webApp used icefaces 1.8.2 and
the other one used the new icefaces 2.0.2 release.  I was able to duplicate
my previous problems with the Tomcat 7.0.20/icefaces 1.8.2 combination.
Although, when I used the Tomcat 7.0.20 with icefaces 2.0.2, adding the
;jsessionid=xxx worked on my icefaces pages as I need it.

Thanks you so much for pointing me in the right direction - that I needed to
be focused on icefaces and not Tomcat in solving my problem.  Now I just
need to port my site over to the new version of icefaces.  Hopefully, their
"compatibility" mode of using 2.0.x for processing older 1.x tags will not
be too painful.

Thanks again,

Jeff Prideaux.