________________________________
 From: André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, December 5, 2011 4:13:33 AM
Subject: Re: MVC or Model2 with Tomcat

Blaxton wrote:

> ________________________________

>>> CATALINA_BASE/webapps/firstapp/ROOT
> [...]
>> worker.appexmp2.host=localhost
>> worker.appexmp2.port=8009
>> worker.appexmp1.type=ajp13
>> worker.appexmp1.host=localhost
>> worker.appexmp1.port=8109
>>

>> Created separate directories in CATALINA_BASE/webapps/
>> for each application so , it contain following directories:
>> CATALINA_BASE/webapps/ROOT
>> CATALINA_BASE/webapps/appexmp1
>> CATALINA_BASE/webapps/appexmp2
>>
>> context file for each application resides in
>> CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost for example:
>> CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/appexmp1.xml
>> CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/appexmp2.xml
>>
>> cat  CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/appexmp1.xml
>> <Context path="/appexmp1" docBase="appexmp1" debug="0" reloadable="true"
>> crossContext="true">
>> </Context>
>>
>> and web.xml file as follow:
>> cat CATALINA_BASE/webapps/appexmp1/WEB-INF/web.xml
>> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"; version="2.5">
>> <servlet>
>>      <servlet-name>App1</servlet-name>
>>      <servlet-class>com.appexmp1.App1</servlet-class>
>>    </servlet>
>>
>>    <servlet-mapping>
>>      <servlet-name>App1</servlet-name>
>>      <url-pattern>/APP1</url-pattern>
>>    </servlet-mapping>
>>
>>    <welcome-file-list>
>>      <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
>>    </welcome-file-list>
>>
>> </web-app>
>>

>> I already can access mydomain.com/App1/index.jsp and every thing works fine
>> but want to be able to serve .jsp files as follow:
>> mydomain.com/index.jsp
>> for each of my virtual hosts.
>>
>> I hope I have provided enough information.
>>
> No. :-)
>
> What we are still missing, is how you have defined the DocumentRoot in each
> of your Apache
> httpd VirtualHost's. And also any Alias directive which mentions "App1".
>
> Because with your above setup, calling "mydomain.com/App1/index.jsp" can only
> work, if you
> have allowed Apache httpd to access your Tomcat applications directory
> directly.  Which
> you should not do.
>
> Here is a reason why you should not do this :
> Try the following URL :
> mydomain.com/App1/WEB-INF/web.xml
> What do you see ?
> Do you want users to see that ?

> Sorry, based on context file the URL that I should have mentioned is
> mydomain.com/appexmp1/index.jsp and not mydomain.com/App1/index.jsp
>
> App1 is a servlet that just print some helloworld and that works fine.
> probably should have not mentioned that as it has nothing to do with jsp.
>
> Apache DocumentRoot is not overlapping Tomcat's docbase.
> I already have provided context file and here is the apache DocumentRoot:
> DocumentRoot "/var/www/appexmp1/httpdocs"
>
> accessing mydomain.com/appexmp1/WEB-INF/web.xml results file not exist.
>
> mydomain.com/appexmp1/index.jsp  works fine but want to access

If you only want that index page there, then just move it under /ROOT/.

But if you want the whole of "appexmp1" to be called without the /appexmp1/
prefix, then :

In Tomcat itself, it is not complicated, just follow the earlier-mentioned FAQ.
(from memory: make a backup of /ROOT/*; delete what is under /ROOT/; move what
is in
/appexmp1/* to /ROOT/*; delete /appexmp1; modify your Context files
accordingly; restart
Tomcat).

BUT, you are going to have a harder time making the JkMount's work under Apache
httpd.
Because now, you would have to replace this :
>> JkMount  /appexmp1/*     appexmp1
by this :
>> JkMount  /*     appexmp1

That's fine if you still want /appexmp2/* to be forwarded to the other
application.
But if you also want the other application on the other tomcat to be ROOT on
that tomcat,
you have a problem, because of course you cannot have
>> JkMount  /*     appexmp1
>> JkMount  /*     appexmp2

Think about it.  Maybe a better way would be to have a /index.html under
Apache, with
links to /appexmp1 and /appexmp2 ?

Also by the way, another little error in your previous setup :
In this :
>> JkMount  /appexmp1/*     appexmp1
>> JkMount  /appexmp1/*.jsp appexmp1
In the first line, you are already forwarding /appexmp1/* anyway, so the second
line is
useless.

One of the reasons I have installed stand alone Apache along with Tomcat
 is
maybe in future use a load balancing feature and load balance several
Tomcats.
do you think linking /index.html to /appexmp1 would make problem in tomcat ?

By linking /index.html  to /appexmp1, do you mean forwarding by placing
following metadata in index.html file:
content="5;url=mydomain.com/appexmp1/index.jsp" />

or there are other ways of linking index.html to
mydomain.com/appexmp1/index.jsp ?