> From: Martin O'Shea [mailto:app...@dsl.pipex.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat memory allocation

> But if I change the settings in catalina.bat to:

Don't make changes to catalina.bat; create a setenv.bat to hold all your local
settings.

> set CATALINA_OPTS=%CATALINA_OPTS% -Xms128m -Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

> In Tomcat Manager I see:

Use a real JVM analysis tool (e.g., JConsole, VisualVM), not the manager webapp.

> Free memory: 97.90 MB Total memory: 122.68 MB Max memory: 227.56 MB
> Shouldn't total or max memory have a higher reading?

No, since the heap size is sliding around between Xms and Xmx.

You might want to take a look at the papers here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/index-jsp-140228.html

Especially interesting are the ergonomics and tuning ones.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.