On 29/12/2011 08:51, Saravanan L wrote:
> *Point 1 and 2. *
> 1. When I remove acceptCount=10000 My tomcat 7 works fine.

So remove it and don't put it back.

> 2. But I had  the same property in tomcat 6 and it worked fine on that.

Clearly something is broken with your app / Tomcat 7 configuration.

Using maxThreads=5000 when you are only servicing 9000 requests in 1800
seconds with an average processing time of less than 1s per request is
not only excessive it will mask any connection related problems you do
have. The default of 200 should be fine.

Since you are using APR, you don't need a thread to maintain a
keep-alive connection so I would reduce maxThreads to no more than 20
for now to aid debugging. Once you have fixed the problem, then you can
restore the default.

> A. I tried remove and altering some variables to check this problem.
> Mistakenly I thought acceptCount was the culprit, because
> after removing acceptCount, tomcat was running for 2 hours then 443
> connector stopped. Tomcat 6 with the same configuration (server.xml)
> works fine.

That is pretty much completely unhelpful. a) you need to tell us what
you are changing and what the results were and b) you should only change
one thing at a time.

> *Point 4*
> 4. Also found out that when it reaches 9000 connections with my existing
> connector [See below] the tomcat https [Http works fine] stops
> responding and the browser says 'Connection reset by peer'.

Connections != requests. Please make sure you use the correct
terminology because if you don't it will cause confusion.

Point was was related to old, invalid attributes you had in server.xml
that should be removed.

> A. When the request count reaches 9000, the tomcat fails within minutes.
> This depends , the last two times I tested, I was able to reproduce this.
> Log from Tomcat Server status.
> (after 1/half hour)
> Max threads: 5000 Current thread count: 209 Current thread busy: 2
> Keeped alive sockets count: 56
> Max processing time: 300477 ms Processing time: 8788.765 s Request
> count: 9926 Error count: 783 Bytes received: 0.22 MB Bytes sent: 5.43 MB

So, actions for you are:
- remove accepCount from the connector configuration
- reduce maxThreads to 20
- remove use of attributes that are not supported in Tomcat 7 (check
that each attribute is in the docs)
- explain exactly how you are testing these SSL connections (JMeter,
browser, something else?)
- repeat your test with the above settings and then report the results.
Include relevant extracts from:
- logs
- netstat output
- thread dump