Debbie,

It looks all a bit confusing, particularly since
- you tell us about logfiles, but without providing the exact path/filename of
each file
- the timestamps in some of these files indicate events which happened almost
24 h apart
- some of these messages are not errors; they look like "normal" application messages (although sometimes in a strange place).

It looks like your main problem is some kind of broken Java JVM, as per these
messages :

> 2012-01-09 16:15:55 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

which apparently started happening at 2012-01-09 16:15:55.

Other messages which you show, such as

> 2012-01-08 23:30:12 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedInitializing data space: [FileSystemDataSpace]
> Can not find sree properties in ./sree.properties
> Writing log to .\sree.log

are from the previous day (but they don't look like errors per se).

Presumably, you first replaced these application jars and tried to restart Tomcat then, and it seems to have worked at least in part, then.
Then, the next day, you must have updated Java, and that's when things started
to look ugly.

But this is quite a bit of guesswork, because we don't know that application, and we don't know exactly which logfiles you are talking about, nor the order in which you did things.

My personal recommendation at this stage, to try making some sense of the situation, would be :

1)
a) find and delete /all/ the Tomcat and application logfiles that you find under the Tomcat directories. Also clear the Windows Event logs if you are allowed to do so (maybe first save them to file).

b) When you have done the above carefully, try to restart Tomcat, once; I assume it will not work. c) then, after this /one/ unsuccesful attempt, find the logfiles again in the Tomcat log directories (and look at the Windows System Event log for any interesting messages).
And then let us know which exact (path/filename) logfiles you find, and their
content.

2) later, you may have to de-install both of your Java JVMs, and re-install one
of them.
And maybe re-install Tomcat.
But let's see the logfiles first.

Debbie Shapiro wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. Combining all the questions and answers into
one email...

Hi, are you able to see the log files in the log folder?

Conway

A: Yes, I can see the log files. The localhost file says catalina serviceManager initalized successfully.

Commons-daemon has the following:
[2012-01-08 23:30:12] [info]  Commons Daemon procrun (1.0.5.0 64-bit) started
[2012-01-08 23:30:12] [info]  Running 'Tomcat7' Service...
[2012-01-08 23:30:12] [info]  Starting service...
[2012-01-08 23:30:13] [info]  Service started in 1203 ms.
[2012-01-09 16:15:03] [info]  Stopping service...

I show 2 tomcat7-stdout files
One Tomcat7-stdout mentions an error fail to get sree home from web.xml:

2012-01-08 23:30:12 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedInitializing data
space: [FileSystemDataSpace]
Can not find sree properties in ./sree.properties
Writing log to .\sree.log
The logging properties is: sree.properties
InetSoft 10.2 build 0908111301 started
Fail to get sree home from "web.xml as servlet parameter".
Get sree home from "web.xml as global parameter" successfully.
The sree properties is: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.properties
Writing log to C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.log
The logging properties is: sree.properties
The sree properties is: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.properties
Writing log to C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.log
The logging properties is: sree.properties

The other has different errors:

2012-01-09 16:15:55 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred
during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:28:15 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred
during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:44:43 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred
during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:52:27 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred
during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:53:07 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred
during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 17:16:20 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred
during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 17:17:37 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred

From: Debbie Shapiro [mailto:dshap...@cardiacscience.com]
Subject: Tomcat 7 service not starting

I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30.

Did you also perhaps change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit JVM (or vice-versa)?  The
mode of the JVM must match the mode of the Tomcat service wrapper (tomcat7.exe).

 - Chuck