2012/1/17 Kees Jan Koster <kjkos...@gmail.com>:
> On 17 jan. 2012, at 11:11, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Kees Jan Koster wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>> Perhaps the Tomcat start script can issue a warning in case spaces are
>>> found in the path?
>> You know, I think that this is a lost battle.  The habit is by now so
>> entrenched that there is probably nothing anyone can do by now to extirpate
>> this, other than designing a new OS where this is forbidden.  And you'd
>> still have to deal with funny imported foreign file names and paths.
>> But I keep on reacting to issues to do with withespace in pathnames, just
>> because I believe that there is not one programmer alive in the whole world,
>> who has not had some problem with this at some point.
>> So if you can save yourself the trouble, by installing Tomcat in some
>> pathname which makes sense and is not a pain to type and forget to quote
>> somewhere, you'll always do yourself a favor in the end.
>>
>> P.S. In our current globalised world, similar issues exist with filenames
>> containing characters that can perhaps be displayed everywhere, but not
>> /typed/ on
>>

> Agreed on the lost battle part. My suggestion is merely to help people who
> never experienced path issues like this before. It gives them a place to
> start looking when tomcat does not work for them.
>
> That is why I suggest to issue a warning and not rewrite the OS.

Installing into "Program Files" is per se flawed starting with
Microsoft's Vista. There are several reported problems in
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows

I mean, it is good place for CATALINA_HOME, but bad one for CATALINA_BASE.

It is good if you are just using Tomcat installed there with Eclipse
IDE (which creates its own CATALINA_BASE), but bad if you are really
going to run Tomcat from there.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko