Vadim,

Bringing this back onto the list...

On 5/22/12 4:29 PM, Vadzim Mikhalenak wrote:
> Thank you for the reply! Yes, link
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/monitoring.html is for
> version 5.5 but we are migrating from version 6 (sorry for the
> confusion) but the configuration above was valid for version 6

I'll bet the configuration was not valid for Tomcat 6, but the
connectors are just more chatty in Tomcat 7 when certain properties
don't match anything.

> [This JMX setup] gave us opportunity to manage JMX beans using
> http://${JMX.HOST}:${JMX.PORT} (please see
> http://logback.qos.ch/manual/images/chapters/jmxConfigurator/mx4j_jetty.gif)
>  In version 7 I couldn't see any possibility to do it.

You can use the Tomcat Manager webapp and the JMXProxy servlet to do a
lot. Consider reading the reference I posted.

> I've noticed that in Connector class of version 6 if
> ("AJP/1.3".equals(protocol)) { setProtocolHandlerClassName
> ("org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler");
>
> org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler used JkMain which used JkMX
> where HttpAdapter from mx4j-tool.jar was used.
>
> but in version 7 else if ("AJP/1.3".equals(protocol)) {
> setProtocolHandlerClassName
> ("org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol");

There have been many changes to Tomcat between 5.5->6.0->7.0.

> So do we have possibility to manage JMX beans in version 7 as we
> could in version 6? (please see
> http://logback.qos.ch/manual/images/chapters/jmxConfigurator/mx4j_jetty.gif
> )

I don't see any reason you can't use MX4J in Tomcat 7: there's just no
direct support for configuring it. If you want to use MX4J, then use a
Listener (probably LivecycleListener makes sense) to launch it when
the server starts up.

Feel free to look at how Tomcat used to do it and replicate something
similar in your own code.