Totally agree.

I like to understand what is going on so I created a 'sandbox' type project
in Netbeans, manually referenced the wicket libraries, created the
application and webpage class with related HTML, and the Web.xml. I was up
and running in under an hour. The application runs on Tomcat with iBatis and
mySQL - nothing fancy no Jetty, Hibernate.

My process of learning the framework is again simple. Add pages to the
'sandbox ' application and add components to the page that I want to
learn/play with. Before I knew it I had working examples of most of the
Wicket components with Java code I had written and understood.

I like Wicket. I have the greatest respect for the developers who devote
their time to giving us a worthwhile framework, and to the Wicket community
who are always willing to help.

My advice is to build an application manually, the information is on the
Wiki and in many blogs (just Google it). Read the book 'Pro-Wicket' and sign
up to the Manning MEAPs version of 'Wicket In Action'