> That is what I'd suggest as well, since it involves the least amount
of
> change. As an added bonus, if no id's are added and 2 <wicket:child>
> sections are used, it could throw an exception (which it currently
does
> not do, it just silently ignores the second <wicket:child>).

That would be magic!

While we're at this epic moment after spending days thrashing this out
could we spend just 3 extra minutes to investigate implementing standard
Java method like behavior for this feature?
Ie., In the case that no override <extend> is provided in a derived
page, simply use the markup in the <child> tag in the base page.

Then it would work like methods work in Java - and it's probably how
most Java developers would naturally expect an OO framework like wicket
to work anyway.

Intuitively it seems like an easy to implement option in the framework:
the <child>/<extend> feature is already merging code from the base page
anyway - if there is no override <extend> tag in a derived page then it
simply pulls the markup from the base page's <child> tag.