From: Eelco Hillenius [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 4:45 PM
To: wicket user list
Subject: users, please give us your opinion: what is your take on
generics with Wicket

Hi all,

We have had several threads in this and the dev list, and some
discussions in the public on how to incorporate generics in Wicket.

I'd like to use this thread to gather the opinions of as many regular
Wicket users as we can. Please help us get an impression of what our
users think about the issue by completing this simple survey. Note that
it is not a vote; we only want to get an idea of what you think.

1) Generifying* Wicket
   [ ] Can best be done like currently in the 1.4 branch, where models
and components are both generified. I care most about the improved
static type checking generified models and components give Wicket.
   [ ] Can best be done in a limited fashion, where we only generify
IModel but not components. I care more about what generifying can do for
API clarity (declaring a component to only accept certain models for
instance) than static type checking.
   [ ] Should be avoided, I prefer the way 1.3 works. Because... (fill
in your opinion here).
   [ ] .... (anything other than these choices?)

2) How strongly do you feel about your choice above?
   [ ] Whatever choice ultimately made, I'll happily convert/ start
using 1.4 and up.
   [ ] I might rethink upgrading if my choice doesn't win.
   [ ] I definitively won't be using 1.4. if Wicket doesn't go for my
preference.

Thanks in advance for everyone participating, and pls feel free to
explain yourself further beyond just answering these questions!

Eelco

p.s. I suggest that the core devs and most active participants and
previous discussions wait a few days before giving their opinions so
that we don't flood the thread right from the start.

* Parameterizing would probably be the better word to use, but
generifying seems to be the word that many people use.