why are you contradicting yourself?

"To be honest I don't see the advantage of generic components, all I want is
to not have to do casting when I'm using models, .getModelObject() should
return the type that I put in, in a list view, if I give it a list of
strings I dont want to cast the listItem model object to a string."

if you have just IModel then you will have to cast.. getModelObject will
always return just Object then.

about:

"new TextArea(...).add(some behavior).setRequired(true) "

this can be done but then we have to override some methods of component and
then return another type
The problem is that this could result in us lifting a final where we dont
want to..
But this is outside the scope of generics

johan