> What I don't like about Wicket is, that it is like writing normal Java
> applications - although rich clients applications are being replaced with
> web-based solutions and there is a fundamental difference between
> web-applications and normal java applications. If you have a java
> application as a product, it is normal to employ software developers that
> work on bug fixes and new features all the time - they constantly develop
> and it is expensive....everything has to be done by a software developer.

Being more like a "normal" Java application (whatever that is :) is
precisely why some of us like Wicket.

> An ideal web-application is developed once and the Java code is never
> touched again for 3-5 years until there are a lot of new features
> necessary.... but in this time there could be several small changes or
> complete re-designs...and in that time this should be a pure matter of
> HTMLing without the need of touching the Java code. If a new input field is
> added or some new strings.....or whatever....or maybe a new Flash component
> etc....this should still work without changing the -war file that carries
> the Java code...only changes in the templates or the database should be
> made.

This sounds quite unrealistic to me for most applications. But I think a CMS
(such as Brix: http://code.google.com/p/brix-cms/) comes close to what you
are asking for if I understand what you are trying to get at.

> Wicket does does not really allow this. Or assume you have a
> web-application you want to sell - and don't want the customer to know
> Java....they would be really restricted in the changes that are possible.
>  Another advantage of Wicket is that it creates a session for every visitor
> - no matter whether it is a crawler/search engine that does not need a
> session or a logged in user....

Again, a CMS.

-Richard