I did some reading and found that a "mentoring organization" for the GSoC is
considered "A group running an active free/open source software project".
That seems to imply a core committer would need to be involved. See:
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html#0_1_org_is_47611255748869674_1

The idea of Wicket participating in GSoC interests me. I work at Georgia
Tech Research Institute, which is a professional research arm of Georgia
Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech). We are located on the edge of the
Georgia Tech campus in Atlanta, Georgia. We have about 10 co-op students
from Georgia Tech working for us each semester. We use all open source
software. We have just started using Wicket, Spring, and Brix (CMS based on
Wicket and Jackrabbit) on a new project that I'm driving. I have two co-op
students helping me out right now. We have existing web applications that
use JEE, Struts, YUI, and Ext JS, which we deploy to Tomcat on Red Hat
Linux. We plan to migrate those existing applications to Wicket over the
next couple of years. Also, we are hiring:
http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=78669508

Considering our position, I'm wondering if we could be involved in this
somehow. Especially if it benefited us, it might be an easy sell to get some
of our engineers/scientists involved.

-Richard