> Once again it seems a lame excuse to say you're too busy or the various
> other things when this could both give the project good pr and possibly add
> more people who contribute to the framework.

I've found that the best way to convince people does not involve insulting
the person you're trying to convince. There is merit to your argument of
good PR and possible new contributors, but let's not forget that the people
working on Wicket do so in their spare time - and you know that there are a
lot of things in life that require time. It is fully understandable that
what little time the developers have to spend on Wicket, they'd rather use
that time to improve the framework and fix bugs.
Mentoring a SoC student takes a considerable amount of time and
concentration, and while some students may blossom on their own, a lot of
them need guidance on a regular basis - this requires a massive investment
of spare time that could otherwise have been used for improving Wicket. A
mentor that is only half interested will not be an advantage to the student,
and be bad PR rather than good - you need mentors that are willing, good,
know the framework well and have loads of time - the last of which does not
apply to a lot of Wicket Devs. Calling it lame doesn't change anything about
it, but it does agitate the developers, which doesn't exactly help your
cause.
- Jeroen