Jeremy,

from my perspective ModalWindow is a mix of javascript widget that works in
non-wicket mode and an wicket wrapper that bridges js widget with wicket. It
is always created at the body level. That's why I said it's a cheat. Thus
are problems with form submitting when nested forms are used. Community
introduced a solution (a wrapping form that is threated as the root) to work
around the mismatch of ModalWindow structure. There is an issue registered
about that. But Matej keeps stating that we should put MW into a form. What
says that he is not aware what the problem is. And there are more problems
caused by the fact that the <form> element is created by javascript.

>From the other hand I believe it is possible to write pure Wicket component
that would be as trice as simpler and won't suffer with problems with
request lifecycle. Probably I'm wrong and it is not worth turning the old
ModalWindow into pure Wicket component due to expensiveness of the effort
that would be spent to remain it compatible.

The same about tree components. The API is very difficult to comprehend.
Component does not work as I expect in dynamic context. But thankfully Sven
implemented different implementation that does what is expect and usable as
well as DataTable component. I believe forking and fixing the original
component would be much more expensive. After that so many people should
start complaining about that to convince core team that there is not just
one person who is experiencing problems. It is always difficult to
accomplish.