On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Vladimir K<koval...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> from my perspective ModalWindow is a mix of javascript widget that works in
> non-wicket mode and an wicket wrapper that bridges js widget with wicket. It
> is always created at the body level. That's why I said it's a cheat. Thus
> are problems with form submitting when nested forms are used.
There is a good reason why the modal window has to be created on body
level. That's the only reliable way to have element
with absolute position. If you create the DOM structure deeper you are
risking that a container has position:relative somewhere which will
essentially break it. Welcome to the wonderful world of CSS.

> Community
> introduced a solution (a wrapping form that is threated as the root) to work
> around the mismatch of ModalWindow structure. There is an issue registered
> about that. But Matej keeps stating that we should put MW into a form. What
> says that he is not aware what the problem is. And there are more problems
> caused by the fact that the <form> element is created by javascript.
Is it, really?

I've already explained why the DOM structure is created on root level.
If you have form component inside modal window, chances are that
wicket will (to support nested forms) render it as div. If this
happens it is no longer possible to serialize the form when doing an
ajax submit. That's why the actual modal window markup contains a real
form.

And this is why it is necessary to put a modal window inside a form if
you want to have form in modal window. What we should have done is to
put a wicket form inside the modal window panel itself (just to force
all forms in modal window content) to be rendered as nested. But for
some reason i thought that a simple mention in javadoc about putting
modal window to form would be sufficient. My bad.

> From the other hand I believe it is possible to write pure Wicket component
> that would be as trice as simpler and won't suffer with problems with
> request lifecycle. Probably I'm wrong and it is not worth turning the old
> ModalWindow into pure Wicket component due to expensiveness of the effort
> that would be spent to remain it compatible.
Would you mind specifying the actual problems with "request
lifecycle"? And how exactly would a "pure wicket modal window" look
like? No javascript?

> The same about tree components. The API is very difficult to comprehend.
> Component does not work as I expect in dynamic context. But thankfully Sven
> implemented different implementation that does what is expect and usable as
> well as DataTable component. I believe forking and fixing the original
> component would be much more expensive. After that so many people should
> start complaining about that to convince core team that there is not just
> one person who is experiencing problems. It is always difficult to
> accomplish.
I would like to have some clarification on this. What is so difficult
about the Wicket Tree API? (apart from the fact that it uses swing
TreeModel which seem to be too confusing for some people). What does
"dynamic" context mean? Assuming you have properly implemented
TreeModel that fires the proper notifications, wicket tree is capable
for updating itself on ajax request by only transmitting the changed
part to the clients. How much more dynamic can you get?

For next version we will probably ditch swing TreeModel for something
simpler but we will still need some kind of modal change notification.
Wicket tree has many objectives, simplicity is only one of them.
Having simple tree is nice as long as you don't have to refresh the
entire thing every time you expand a node or add a node child.

-Matej