We usually do multilanguage sites, so we always try to keep the web
application in a full UTF-8 cycle. With Wicket we were fine doing the
following:

as mentioned above:

getMarkupSettings().setDefaultMarkupEncoding("UTF-8");
getRequestCycleSettings().setResponseRequestEncoding("UTF-8");

> 1) Edit connectors in server.xml and add URIEncoding="UTF-8"

Yes:
http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/how-to-support-utf-8-uriencoding-with-tomcat.html

> 2) Call request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") (at the very beginning of
> the cycle)

We never had to use this (at least with Wicket 1.4.x). Just make sure your
template always has

in it's header.

If you plan to use mod_jk serving UTF-8 encoded URL's with special chars,
you also might have to consider this:

http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/wicket-behind-a-front-end-proxy.html#Wicketbehindafront-endproxy-UsingUTF8encodedURIswithmodjk

Best regards,
Roman