It's a reference to the American cartoon "Dilbert" (www.dilbert.com)
that is syndicated in papers.  It has a nice sarcastic look at office
life.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eyal Golan [mailto:egola...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 2:58 AM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: Re: Help with Wicket Adoption Numbers

As my English is not my mother's tongue, even though I do speak it
pretty
good, what is the meaning of "pointy haired bosses"?
I think I can understand it, but hey, I want to know if these are the
kinds
of bosses I encountered too often..

Eyal Golan
egola...@gmail.com

Visit: http://jvdrums.sourceforge.net/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/egolan74

P  Save a tree. Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really
necessary

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Jonathan Locke
<jonathan.lo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> honestly, your response is too thoughtful. these pointy haired bosses
are
> self-serving. they don't care about training costs or developer pain
and
> they don't really care if their org runs efficiently.  what they care
about
> is that if there is a failure, their choice didn't cause it.  which is
why
> the old saying goes "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."  same
seems to
> go for struts.  an idiotic technology choice, but you won't get fired
for
> making the same idiotic choice everyone else is making.
>

> Loritsch, Berin C. wrote:
> >
> > "But why choose an inferior technology just because of its adoption
> > numbers?"
> >
> > The pointy haired bosses that do this believe in their heart of
hearts
> > that if you choose the same technology everyone else is using that
they
> > can turn thinking developers for mindless drones.  It has more to do
> > with avoiding training costs and rational thought, and more to do
with
> > trying to turn software development into an assembly line process.
> > Reality never fits this mold, but it doesn't stop the pointy haired
boss
> > from trying.  In this respect they are eternal optimists.

Wicket
> > is
> > becoming more and more popular as people see the light :)
> >
> > Check out Jobs Trends (Relative Growth) here (JSF vs Struts vs
Wicket):

http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=Struts%2C+JSF%2C+Wicket&l=&relative=1

> > We have a couple of hundred customers and so far the feedback is
great
> > both from our Developers and our Software Architects. Customers like
> > that
> > the GUIs are faster due to the simplicity of Ajax Adoption in
Wicket.