Hi Ricardo,

[snip]

  1. We currently rely on some Thunderbird nice add-ons (It's all text!
>      is the winner here) or the use of browsers like OmniWeb to do
>      find/replace actions. Won't be these features included in the new
>      WYSIWYG editor?

Find & Replace is indeed an interesting feature. I don't think we'll have
time to include it in the first release but we'll certainly keep it in mind
while writing the roadmap.

>  2. Have you already considered internationalization issues? How could
>      we contribute to launch the new editor simultaneously in some
>      other languages?

I must admit I haven't thought about it much yet. Contributing new languages
for the editor interface would be great though :-) I'll check how we handle
the languages resources files and let you know how you can contribute ASAP.

>   3. As we try to use XWiki as the entry point for our workflow, import
>      must not be of major importance for us (of course, it will really
>      welcome as we usually receive, and keep receiving, contributions
>      in these formats). But export, at least to RTF, is "critical" for
>      us. Independently of the method used to export or to import (I see
>      that officeimporter comes from a GSoC initiative) documents, why
>      does the import menu is in the WYSIWYG and the export options only
>      in the upper one? I understand that the export process could be
>      accessed without editing a document, but perhaps users could
>      expect to find the export options close to the import ones in the
>      editor.

Export isn't present there because the WYSIWYG is meant to let user input &
modify content on the wiki page. It is meant as a tool to get information
from outside the wiki (files, other websites, our heads) and convert it into
a wiki page. Export is a different step where you get information from the
wiki to another place.

While editing the page, you are in some sort of draft mode where you're
making changes. When exporting stuff, you want it to be finished (at least
partially). Making export available at the page level means that the
contents you will export have been considered finished at some point (since
they've been saved). This is why I think making export available only at the
page level makes more sense from a user flow point of view... Though I might
be wrong.

Thanks for the feedback !

Guillaume

Ricardo

> Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
> > Hi fellow XWiki users,
> > I've spent the last couple weeks working on designing mockups for the new
> > version of the WYSIWYG editor that's currently in the works.
> >
> > I've put all my work on this page :
> > http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface
> >
> > and I'd be glad to gather initial user feedback on these mockups. Please
> > tell us what you think about them now so that we can improve the screens
> > before implementation begins at full speed.
> >
> > Specifically, I'm wondering about the following things :
> >
> >    - Can the text be improved to make things easier to understand ? If
> so,
> >    where ?
> >    - Are some features harder to reach than they should ?
> >    - Are dialog boxes & trays consistent with user models of how edition
> >    software usually behaves ?
> >    - Do you see anything that will make an user wonder what's happening
> and
> >    where he / she should click next ?
> >
> > Please note that the colors are only indicative at this stage - a
> designer
> > will improve my work before we get to the final stage. I'll try
> incorporate
> > your feedback soon and will let you know how the subseuent development
> goes.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Guillaume
> >

> --