Well, I pose this one:

Does the avarage consumer know and understand the differences and
relationships between ounces, pints, quarts and gallons?  Many times I see
unit pricing in quarts but the items being sold have no mention of quarts on
them.  They are either fl oz, mL or L.  It seems to me to be very
disingenuous on the part of the food marketing industry to "claim" most
consumers don't understand metric or rather, understand customary units
better all the while they are changing package sizes to non-standard sizes
and putting only fl oz rather than expressing rounded up units such as
quarts or gallons.  Meantime, the unit pricing does not reflect these.  You
know as well as I that most consumers don't even pay attention to the units
on the package to begin with.  They buy by size--that is small, medium,
large.  How many people have been hoodwinked into thinking they are buying a
half-gallon carton of something when it really contains less.  The package
size is a little smaller but it "looks" like a half-gallon.

As for the space argument that rationally sized metric products won't fit
into the current racks, refridgerators or shelves is a specious one at
best.  I have seen plenty of rationally-sized metric products in the
supermarkets from soda and juice to cleaners and they fit fine.

One other note, the FMI refers to the "metric experiment"  I have news for
them:  it's no experiment.  As many here can point out, many industries have
converted to metric or work in metric with no issues and have made the
deliberate decision to do so.  What we have is a long, slow, painful
inevability that could be made quicker and less painful.

Phil