On 2009/02/20, at 2:08 PM, Nat Hager III wrote:
>> SI would confuse the consumer

1.89,  1.65, 1.42 – how can anyone understand that??

>> compare half-gallon to 1.75 quarts to 3 pints -

Simplicity in itself!

<g>
Nat

Dear Nat,

This discussion has been going on for years. Here is a reference from 2006: http://www.mail-archive.com/usma@colostate.edu/msg26491.html

I suspect that the anti-metrication is the action of an individual, Ty Kelley, Director, Federal Government Relations, Food Marketing Institute (FMI) (Email: tkel...@fmi.org ). I doubt that there has ever been a discussion or a vote on this issue that carried a majority of the FMI members.

I am reminded of the actions of only two men who privately, and in secret at the time, dismantled the Metric Conversion Board of the USA during Ronald Reagan's presidency. Here are some references to this shameful event.

Who Keeps the Metric System Down?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/28/AR2006032802142.html

http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench/news/2893/keeps-metric-system-down

In a Washington Post remembrance of the late Reagan Press Secretary Lyn Nofziger, longtime friend and political rival Frank Mankiewicz claims that they worked secretly to kill the metric system in the United States:

... during that first year of Reagan's presidency, I sent Lyn another copy of a column I had written a few years before, attacking and satirizing the attempt by some organized do-gooders to inflict the metric system on Americans, a view of mine Lyn had enthusiastically endorsed. So, in 1981, when I reminded him that a commission actually existed to further the adoption of the metric system and the damage we both felt this could wreak on our country, Lyn went to work with material provided by each of us. He was able, he told me, to prevail on the president to dissolve the commission and make sure that, at least in the Reagan presidency, there would be no further effort to sell metric.

It was a signal victory, but one which we recognized would have to be shared only between the two of us, lest public opinion once again began to head toward metrification.

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin

PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA, NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA. See http://www.metricationmatters.com for more metrication information, contact Pat at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free 'Metrication matters' newsletter go to: http://www.metricationmatters.com/newsletter to subscribe.