In due respect, Gene, there is no need for the alternative W.s as
there is no need for the N.m (for work) or the kg.m2/s2. Associating any
quantity with only one form of its unit represents a major advantage of SI.
Let's stick with it. The joule is the only form for the unit of energy to
be used in practice.

To those who commented on this email, and I thank you all, you should know
that the Editor "bought" the reasoning and plans the article for the
January issue.
Stan Jakuba
PS: While on this topic, the above principle applies also to the quantity
"energy consumption" that is universally expressed, wrongly, as Btu/day,
MWh/year, etc. In the spirit of SI, the ONLY unit for power is the W. And
because energy consumption is a flow, the unit of power (W) is correct here
despite the almost universal, worldwide opposition. Imagine that "... per
day, per year, per hour, per minute, per decade ..." all gone with the
watt. Suddenly all statistics are comparable directly.