But I think that one needs to be flexible and sensitive to rhetoric and context. If an author compares the energy consumed in various forms in a year's time, then most certainly the author is comparing amounts of energy and that should be measured in joules. As long as all categories cover the same time period the comparison is fair.

Some of those forms of usage might be rather sporadic, such as the consumption of stove wood. I use stove wood in the cold months here. So I endeavor to enter that cold period with a certain quantity of wood, which I roughly measure by volume. It contains a certain amount of useful energy -- depending on that volume, the wood's moisture content, and the types of trees that it came from. As I am accumulating that supply of stove wood, I don't give a single thought to its rate of usage and therefore not to its output energy rate. I want to have some minimum amount of heat available, regardless of its rate of usage.

So I have no heartburn with folks who would like to cite values for the amount of energy produced by each source of that energy in a set period of time and using the joule as the unit of measurement. I'm certainly smart enough to divide by the number of seconds in that period of time to view this usage in terms of rate of energy production, measured in watts.

Of course, one could make that comparison in watts, as you prefer, and then multiplying by the number of seconds in that period to obtain the total amounts of energy produced in that period by each source. Presenting such data in watts invites easy comparison to other "benchmark" figures people recall, such as the power rating of their nearest power plant. Again, let the rhetoric and the context provide the guidance.

The beauty of the SI is that it lets readers quickly make such calculations. It's our collection of U.S. Customary units that makes such calculations difficult. If we were stuck with those units, then it would be worth arguing about which presentation is preferable before going to the bother of publishing a comparison. But since we have the SI available, citing either annual energy production or the rate of energy production is sufficient and understandable. This dispute reminds me of arguments about the direction in which those angels dancing on the head of a pin are circling. Clockwise or counterclockwise? Hmm ... as viewed from above or below?

The same can be said for claiming (incorrectly) that the SI prefers the joule over the watt second. Neither is preferred. Specially named units are for convenience and are not mandated. If you disagree with me on this, Stan, cite the clause in the SI brochure that contradicts me.

Let's not discourage any budding metric fans here by bogging down into arguments of relative purity, especially those that are not substantiated by the standards.

Jim

On 2014-12-17 09:10, Stanislav Jakuba wrote:
In due respect, Gene, there is no need for the alternative W.s as there is no need for the N.m (for work) or the kg.m2/s2. Associating any quantity with only one form of its unit represents a major advantage of SI. Let's stick with it. The joule is the only form for the unit of energy to be used in practice.

To those who commented on this email, and I thank you all, you should know that the Editor "bought" the reasoning and plans the article for the January issue.
Stan Jakuba
PS: While on this topic, the above principle applies also to the quantity "energy consumption" that is universally expressed, wrongly, as Btu/day, MWh/year, etc. In the spirit of SI, the ONLY unit for power is the W. And because energy consumption is a flow, the unit of power (W) is correct here despite the almost universal, worldwide opposition. Imagine that "... per day, per year, per hour, per minute, per decade ..." all gone with the watt. Suddenly all statistics are comparable directly.