Stan, Jim, and others,

I agree, raised dots to denote multiplication of unit symbols, and solidi
(slashes) to denote division of unit symbols are *optional*, and may be
represented by spaces, or by the explicit power (positive or negative) of each
respective unit symbol, as appropriate.

However, one must be careful to avoid the ambiguities (unspecified sequence
order of operations) of certain mixes of multiplications and divisions of unit
symbols.

I like the flexibility of being able to use any of these three methods of
expressing combinations of unit symbols in SI, without exclusion of the other
two methods.

There is no CGPM resolution or BIPM position statement that I know of that
favors one of these three methods over the other two, unless by the example of
printed documents.

Eugene Mechtly.

On Dec 17, 2014, at 9:10 AM, Stanislav Jakuba