If you sys admin various flavors of  *nixes you need to know VI.  Example,
if you are given a server with standard *nix  build (i.e. AIX, Solaris,
HP-UX, Linux, etc) , you won't find vim, nano, joe, emacs, etc. but your
first and de facto editor will be VI. I think knowing VI is a need; sys
admins shouldn't get around learning. Its a must. I personally wouldn't hire
a sys admin that hasn't taken the time an effort to learn the basics of VI.

Emacs is mainly for programming (yeah, go ahead and refute this :) )