My vote (and my co-workers) vote is for Emacs as the best editor/Operating
System.  I have reasons:

1. I know it.
2. Bash, by default has Emacs Keybindings for deleting, inserting, etc, so
at the very least, learning the common keybindings is useful.
3.  Tramp.  Remotely editing files over SSH is teh awesome.
4.  Lisp!  Where else can you get Dr. Scheme's ugly older brother to bash
your head in after CS330?  Nowhere!

As for the speed argument,  I don't care, but I will mention that I
successfully ran emacs on a toshiba e310 pocket pc with a  206MHz Strong Arm
Processor and 64 (or 32?) MB ram back in 2003.  Topher might remember that
sin against nature (and the list!)

-David Litster, vagrant.